Thursday, July 7, 2011

Hello World!

"Firsts" are important to everyone's life.  From infancy to adulthood, each new experience makes a significant impact on one's life.  Some of a my significant technological "firsts" were my first laptop, video game console (Nintendo Gamecube), graphing calculator (TI-84 Plus SE), and blog (this one here).  My most important computer first was learning a programming language.  A few years ago, I started learning PLT Scheme.  Although the language is quite limited in functionality, it taught me basic control structures and optimization techniques.  While Scheme was informational, I slowly became bored of programming.

Years later, my parents bought me a TI-84 Plus SE.  I was first intrigued by the "PRGM" button and soon became determined to learn TI-BASIC.  I made a few programs for extra credit, but I wanted to make fun, entertaining games.  My first (and probably last) finished game in TI-BASIC was a pixel-based Snake clone.  I spent hours squeezing every last drop of speed it would possibly allow.  While I managed to run it at a decent speed, I knew that I could never write CPU-demanding games.  I realized that I had to learn this "mystical" assembly language.

I failed at my first attempt at learning Z80 ASM.  I was not able to grasp the concept of the registers and the commands.  Looking around, I found an eye-catching program named Axe, an application that compiles  BASICesque code into Z80 machine code.  It took some effort to grasp the new concepts, but I soon realized how much more powerful it is compared to BASIC.

Browsing around, I discovered Omnimaga, a thriving community dedicated to calculator programming.  They hosted marvelous Axe Tutorials and BASIC documentation.  I became a member and was soon impressed by their dedication to being a peaceful, constructive community.   There, I found Hot_Dog's ASM tutorials.  They were thorough but easy to understand.  To this day, I have not found a better guide for beginners to ASM.

I know TI-BASIC, Axe, and ASM, but I still have not released a program yet.  Why?  I can't stay on task.  (Actually I just lose the interest for some of my projects.  :P)  I created this blog so I can have a personal area to talk about my projects, say random stuff, and post fake news.

-RalphDSpam

Editor's note: As you can see, the quality in writing declines the further you get to the bottom of the post.  I'll improve that.  I also shouldn't have to put an editor's note.  I'm the editor anyway.  Now I'm just randomly babbling.  Great.

No comments:

Post a Comment